Choosing the right partner can make or break your company’s logistics, customer service, and repeat purchases. Using a fulfillment center like Shipfusion frees you from navigating the fulfillment landscape with zero stress. Below are some insights on how Shipfusion can take your business to the next level.
Here is your 3 part guide on everything you need to know on how to prepare for the eCommerce holiday season.
eCommerce Holiday Dates
- American Thanksgiving: November 25
- Black Friday: November 26
- Small Business Saturday: November 27
- Cyber Monday: November 29
- Super Saturday: December 18 (the last Saturday before Christmas, typically a big shopping day for brick-and-mortar retailers)
- Christmas: December 25
We currently live in a world where almost anything can be bought online. From furniture to appliances, paintings, jewelry, and a whole lot more.
But what most people don’t realize is the amount of effort needed for this endeavor– eCommerce platforms have, perhaps, more complicated backend operations than traditional retail outlets. This allows consumers to receive their purchased goods in superior condition, at the agreed-upon time.
In today’s article, you’ll learn all about this process, and why it’s so important to maintain deadlines, particularly during peak shipping seasons. We’ll also be sharing some tips that will significantly improve your day-to-day operations, and flatten your bottom line as a result.
What and When are Peak Shipping Seasons?
It doesn’t happen every day, but there are certain times in a year that bring in the most sales. Retailers refer to these as peak shipping seasons.
Due to an overwhelming amount of transactions, businesses are swamped. Still, this provides a golden opportunity. The increased online holiday traffic allows them to monetize outdated or otherwise slow-moving inventory through better deals. Which is why peak shipping seasons happen very close to major sales dates like Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Christmas, or right before summer or when school resumes.
The Problems Encountered During Peak Shipping Seasons
You probably heard about the surge of orders. But what is it, really, that makes working during a peak shipping season so stressful? To put things into perspective, here are a few issues that the majority of sellers face during these extraordinary times.
- Lack of Manpower – Not having enough workers present is a serious challenge. If you notice delays when processing requisitions, replying to inquiries, and packing items, these could be signs that you are understaffed. Excessive amounts of overtime is another common indicator. Missing out on sales could be the least of your worries. When not handled properly, inefficiency could lead to negative reviews, which contributes to how consumers perceive your brand.
- Technical Issues – Selling through a virtual space has both its good and bad points. On one hand, it is extremely convenient for buyers. However, when multiple users access your website or eCommerce page at once, the system might slow down – or worse, totally crash. Other more minor issues may include photos not loading properly, slow updates, and lags in receiving requests. Not the most pleasant experience in the world, but not a deal-breaker, either.
- Shipping Delays – All major shipping carriers experience holiday delays, that is why it’s important to make sure you look ahead of time at the cut off dates provided by your fulfillment company like Shipfusion.
- Losses and Damages – As with any retail establishment, there is always a risk that goods get damaged, lost, or even stolen. Much more so when it travels thousands of miles from one location to another. Signing on with a fulfillment center will help you solve all of these problems.
Stay tuned next week for part 2 of our 3 part ‘How to Prepare for Peak Holiday Season”, We will be looking at the top 10 practical processes you can establish to keep things running smoothly during the busy time.
Shipfusion sets your business on autopilot and combines flexible, reliable fulfillment with powerful, real-time technology. Shipfusion has multiple fulfillment centers across the US and Canada– making it easy to manage your eCommerce business. For more information on how to set your business on autopilot, contact one of our fulfillment specialists today.